My Geekness all on one gadget

Monday, September 27, 2010

What I Learned At The 3 Day 2010

Wendy and I participated in the Susan K Komen Walk for the Cure last weekend. We shared an amazing experience with 2600 other walkers and 375 crew members. And I learned a bunch of things that will share with you, the lucky readers, right now.



What is really creepy any other day, is just perfectly normal during The 3 Day weekend

If my buddy Dirk (of course I changed his name to protect him, you’re welcome Paul) were to sit along side the road and cheer and high five thousands of women with a sign that said “Hugs $1.00” on a white van with tinted windows that has women’s underwear hanging on it, Dirk would be in jail. But at The 3 Day, he’s an inspiration. In The 3 Day’s defense, Dirk should probably be in jail anyway.

We will take and eat anything along the road

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of people standing on the road cheering on the walkers. They are awesome! They take time from their weekend to cheer on complete strangers. They hand out stickers. They make signs. They make the long miles just a little shorter.


And they have food. All kinds of food. There are cookies and candy and chips and crackers. The kids hand out water and Gatorade. Red Licorice seemed to be the most common.

Even though your Mom hammered into your brain don’t take candy from strangers, if they are cheering and wearing pink, you take the chocolate chip cookie and you enjoy it.

One exception is the dude handing out brownies in a shoe box at camp. He was a bit creepy too and might be an exception to the thing above as well.

The Fire Fighters are very popular
Big surprise considering that of the nearly 3000 people at the Seattle walk, 90 percent were women. These guys walked all 60 miles in full gear with an air tank on their backs.
The cops working the street crossings were also talked about quite a bit. I guess it’s a uniform thing.

I love Wendy wearing pigtails
And she should do it more often. I’m just saying.

I got stung by a bee
I didn’t learn anything here, I just wanted to tell y’all that.

Your feet aren’t the only thing that will get a workout
Your legs, feet and toes will be hurt. But they are not the only things that will be tested. Your bladder will also scream at you. You have to hydrate. You have to drink a lot. You spend all day walking and drinking. The pit stops have tons of port-a-potties and huge lines to them.

On a side note; watching woman deal with the port-a-potties is really fun from a construction guy’s perspective. On Day One it was all “gross” and “I’m not sitting on that." Day three, they were jumping on them like pros. This is one of the few times that being a guy at this event works in my favor. No seat sitting. Hehehe.
Don’t sign up for Karaoke unless you can bring it

The ladies that do it are incredibly good. I dabble in singing while playing Rock Band 2 on the Xbox 360 and felt that I might try it out. Wendy suggested that I listen for the first year and then make the decision and I’m so glad I did. Although, I think that if I brought a little more rock to the night it can make up for my lack of skills.

If you don’t like the Black Eyed Peas…

…you just might punch the DJ. The Peas are marketing geniuses with their music. Every event from the Super Bowl down to my birthday party plays The Black Eyed Peas anthem music. With Let’s Get it Started and I Gotta Feeling, The 3 Day has it covered.

As time goes by, chivalry starts to go out the window
When we started walking, I made sure that I was always between Wendy and the street. When we crossed or made a turn, I would walk around Wendy to be street side.
By the end of the day, that stopped happening. It just took too much energy and more steps than I had in me. Sorry Baby.
Blisters are no joke

Anyone who walked The 3 Day knows this. Blisters ended my second day 12 miles short. The two end toes on my right foot ended up becoming one big blister each. Not just the bottom of the toe but the side and end. I have spent 30 years of my life working on the calluses with soccer and work boots. To have a blister form under them was very weird for me.
As much as blisters mess with walkers, the medical staff is amazing at dealing with them. After I had mine lanced and taped, they did not bother me at all on the last day.
Body Glide is your friend
Bring two or three with you. I used so much by the end of the 3 days, I was a giant stick of Body Glide. Chafing is a big a problem especially in those hard to reach areas. One of the things I haven’t learn yet is how to apply the stuff to those hard to reach areas in the cozy confines of a port-a-potty.

If you have a soul, you will be moved by opening and closing

I learned this last year, my first 3 Day event. The emotion with this group of people is unbelievable. Everybody has a story; it could be a wife or a sister, maybe a mother or daughter. Maybe someone is walking for her best friend or it is woman who had just been diagnosed. There are 3000 stories and all of them are moving.

I get choked up every time I hold that shoe in the air as the survivors walk in to the stadium. Some of them have bald heads, others are 20 year survivors but all of them bring inspiration to us. The Survivors are the Rock Stars.

One last thing that I learned:
Every 68 seconds somewhere in the world, a woman dies of Breast Cancer
That means while you have been reading this, another woman has lost her battle with this disease. So when people ask me why I want to walk 60 miles in 3 days, this is why. This is why we walk, this is why we crew.
This is why we will continue to walk until we find cure.

3 comments:

  1. Joe, I appreciate your amazing blog. As a past walker, it is all true about the emotions and the big part they play in the event. It was one of the most amazing things I did in my life. I learned a lot about myself, but I also learned a lot about kindness of other people; people I would probably never see again. The cheer stations, my fellow walkers, the residents of the streets on which we walked, the crew. You know the drill.
    I'm so proud of you guys! Thank you so much for the extreme effort I know you made! I'm glad I was there to see you finish! Marlen Edelmann Jacobs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally in awe of you and Wendy's accomplishment Joe. There is no way I could walk as far as you and Wendy walked this weekend. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to have missed this weekend. You and Wendy have really accomplished something and have good reason to be so proud of yourselves, as I am of you both.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete