My Geekness all on one gadget

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Intro/The 3 Day Pregame Show

So welcome to the blog. What I hope to accomplish with this is to talk about the dumb, silly and hopefully funny things that happen to me and the people in my life. That being said, I wish to start out with something incredible meaningful and important, The Breast Cancer 3 Day event here in Seattle.

I got involved with the 3 Day by getting back someone important in my life. Wendy and I found each other again after nearly 15 years apart. Our relationship goes back an additional 9 years or so to middle school. How we found each other is another story that I will get into with a later post.

Wendy’s best friend Wendy (no this is not a typo, just confusing) was diagnosed with breast cancer nearly five years ago. They walked the 3 Day four years ago and then joined the Food Service crew for the last two years.

I have not had anybody in my life go through anything like this. My Mother-in-law died of Lung Cancer in 2005 but was fighting her battle in Illinois. My wife at the time and I didn’t have the money for both us to fly and see her so she flew alone to be with her. I watch helplessly as Betty lost her fight 2000 miles away. I say this only because as I go into this weekend’s Walk, I have no idea what to expect.

I have since learned that my Mom’s aunt (I not sure what this makes her to me officially, she has always been Aunt Ida) and a cousin are both survivors. I have two friends now that are also survivors. These are good reasons for me to be a part of the 3 Day. The fact that it is a huge part of Wendy’s life and she is now a part of my life is another reason.

But there is another reason for me to do this. I have been looking for something to add to my life for some time now. Something that is bigger than me, something that I can do that will make not only a difference in my life but affect other people as well. Some find this in religion. Others start a family. Still others throw themselves into their jobs. Call it ego or the like; I just think that I am meant to be doing more. I hope that the 3 Day is that.

I have written that I don’t know what to expect and this is true. The Wendys and David, he is the other member of the team, can prep me all they want, but until I get there I can never truly know. That is why I wanted to write this before Thursday, to get my unbiased thoughts down without the benefit of knowing anything prior.

So, what will I be doing at the 3 Day? Well the girls and David are on the Food Service Crew. But more than that, they are The Seattle Breast Pirates. I got my first glimpse of that means at the Expo last June. The team volunteered to help out and everybody knew them. They were The Pirates. I was a Pirate. We were in full pirate regalia. My duds are not as elaborate, as the others have been adding to their outfits for a couple of years now.
I have a nasty goatee that I have been carefully cultivating for about three months now to be part of the pirate look. I feed it Rogan at least once a week. I hate the damn thing. I get constant crap at work about it.

I have a wardrobe manager that is sewing even as I write this. So far, my work for the 3 Day is causing other people more work.

So on Thursday, we will have our Crew meeting and I will learn what I will be doing for the 3 days. There have been talks that I will get the vegetarian line. Heavy lifting seems to be in my future too. I am wondering if there is a form of rookie hazing. I’m just happy to be part of the team.

I will however, get to be a part a very special event on Saturday. Wendy (the other one) and David will be getting married on the stage. From the planning I have seen to will go a little like this:

Feed the walkers. Go to the stage. Say vows. Kiss. Feed the walkers. Well I was never one for long ceremonies so it is cool.

I’m not sure if I’m bringing the laptop the event, weight restrictions and all. I want to get my thoughts and feeling down for this blog, so I might just have to go the caveman route and write on my tent walls and then transcribe then to the blog. We will see, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment